This is the second of a series of posts about how I came to a final piece. In this case the piece in question is "Trojan" which is based on an old school Nintendo game of the same name. It was one of the first games that I played (non stop I might add) and I wanted to do more of a tribute piece to it.
I wanted to try and really do a good job with this one, building on the mistakes that I picked up from the the last piece, with coloring and lighting and so on.
So as always I worked a lot on composition and figuring out what worked best in terms of shapes and arrangements (below). I would take a day or so to work on this and tried different arrangements until I was happy with a potential sketch.
Then I started to add the values. The last time around I would kind of glance over the drawing value stage with the assumption that I would be able to fix it in the paint over stage. However I realized that if you don't have good values and established lighting up front, then you will have to work harder later on to fix things and your painting won't look right. So I spent a lot more time on figuring out the lighting and the light source. (below)
Then I start from the center and then work outwards.